Monday 19 October 2015

First Short Story.Meh

First and foremost, okay fine, I haven't been updating my blog frequently (exams). Sue me. Actually don't. Here, have the first draft of my diabetes related story. The final draft has been sent to a competition i entered. SO... here

REAL-LIFE EXPERIENCES RELATED TO DIABETES
My name is Amar. I am 20 years old and I am a chef, food blogger, cookbook author and a diabetic. Being a diabetic and someone whose life revolves around food, you will never fail to receive comments from people about how you became diabetic because of your lifestyle; and I must admit that they are right, if only I had stuck to eating a bowl of salad with boiled chicken with no carbohydrates for the better part of my life, I would not have to inject my abdomen with insulin shots every time my blood sugar levels rise abnormally. However, I would like to point out to them that their opinions do not matter as they are wrong. I did get diabetes because of my eating habits, but only so because I was at a higher risk of diabetes than other normal human beings. My family has a long history of diabetic people so my chances of getting diabetes was pretty large. So, with this of myth thrown out the window, I would like to share with you the life - experiences of diabetic people in social and working situations.
During social gatherings and activities, especially in Malaysia, food tends to be put centre stage. We do not typically bring the food from the buffet table to our own private table to chat and eat, rather, we choose to chat and eat at the buffet table so that the food is nearer to us. Don’t get me wrong, diabetics can do this, no restrictions imposed upon them, but they have to be mindful of what they are stuffing in their mouths. Healthy people can just pick whatever they want and eat it without a worry in the world and talk to their acquaintances at the same time. Diabetics on the other hand have to watch what they are putting in their mouths just in case the food they are eating might send them into a diabetic coma. Other than that, we can do what other normal people do.
In a work setting, there is no distinctions between diabetic and non-diabetic workers. We do not get paid less or are given less work because of our medical condition. We only need a little time to check our blood sugar levels throughout the day and maybe administer insulin, only a few minutes is needed (Non- diabetics might take longer coffee breaks than our “insulin breaks”.. There might be a little bias during the job interview when the employer sees your medical history for the first time, but other than that, nothing much.
Now, I am not writing this story because I am trying to gain sympathy for diabetics, but essentially, I want to dispel the myth that diabetics are different from other people in this society. The fact is, the only thing differentiating us from the rest of society is the occasional insulin injection, medical check-ups every now and then and that we have to watch what we eat.

(Word count: 503 including title

No comments:

Post a Comment