Tuesday 15 December 2015

THE NASI LEMAK DILEMMA

THE NASI LEMAK DILEMMA

I walked slowly, slower than I have ever walked before. Each step I took was so painful. My stomach was growling, beads of sweat were running down my forehead. I looked up, and saw that the mosque was literally 100 meters in front of me. Even though it was such a short distance, it felt like forever. But somehow, I managed to drag myself to the front of the main entrance. I took of my shoes and placed them neatly on the rack. I climb the short flight of stairs. Each step sent a burning pain through my feet up to my spine.

I slowly walked to the ablution area. There, I washed my face, hands and feet. The cool water was a blessing on my skin. I then took my ablution. I had a sudden surge of energy and I finally stood up right. I walked briskly to the prayer hall. But something caught my eye on the way there. On  a table, near the water dispenser, There was a box. It was filled to the brim with what looked like packs of nasi lemak. Upon closer inspection, My suspicions were confirmed. It was indeed a large pile of nasi lemak packets.

My stomach was growling, it was asking me to take one packet, heck even two or three. But I was hesitating, you see, I was not the kind of person who took free things people give out. No, it is not because I am egoistic and super-rich that anything free is above. I believe that there are more people who deserve or desperately need these nasi lemak than me. But this time was the probable exception. I have not had anything to eat for the last 24 hours. I have just been very busy studying and doing work. I literally had no time to eat. Living in a University where everything is a 20 minute walk probably does not help either. 

So, due to my lustful hunger, I took one nasi lemak packet. I sat in a corner, examining what I took. I felt so guilty taking it. So many questions were racing through my mind. What if a hungry, homeless guy, came let to the mosque and the nasi lemak have all been taken? That means I have just taken a poor man's lunch. Or if there was a school child who waited for this nasi lemak the whole day because his parents could not afford to give him pocket money? I have taken his lunch and probably the only bite of food he is going to get for the rest of the day.

But my hunger took over my thoughts. It is telling me that I deserve this. I have not eaten for a day, and might continue as the day's schedule was quite packed. Also, this was to cover for all the times you have passed up the free food the weeks before at every single Friday prayer. Surely one nasi lemak would not kill anyone.

Then, my good side took over, it might. I have money, some people don't. I can choose to eat whatever and whenever I want, a luxury some people cannot afford. So I looked at this packet of innocent nasi lemak that is causing so much internal dilemma. I reasoned with myself one last time:

"Resources belong to the community, it is our social responsibility that it gets distributed to the ones who need it most"

So I got back up and walked over to the box. I saw that the large pile of nasi lemak was gone. I saw child, wearing school clothes, on his toes peering into the empty box. I just walked over, tapped his shoulder and gave him my packet of nasi lemak. He smiled wide, from cheek to cheek. He bowed and made what I think was sign language. I could not understand but i assumed it was a 'Thank You" I nodded.

I walked away a hungry man, but a happy man. That is what matters in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment